Monday, January 23, 2017

Snippets of Life

Tonight, I'm really not feeling the whole "work on my to-do list" thing. Sometimes I push through that to get it done anyway, but tonight I've decided to let myself do the things that I want to do. They're all fun things that I've been thinking about for a while (like this blog post) or that will need to be done at some point anyways (like wedding brainstorming). So, it's not a totally unproductive night. 

Speaking of wedding planning, as a friend of mine says with great excitement, "Can we just talk about this for a minute?" Holy cow. I still can't always believe it's really happening. I've definitely run the gamut of emotions in this last month and half, from blissful exuberance to fear of the change, from overwhelmed with decisions to inexpressibly joyful over dreams coming true. I'm not sure it's the "always-kittens-and-rainbows" picture that society paints of brides-to-be, but it's honest. And, it's amazing. 

And speaking of trying to be productive, this is what a sleepy Saturday afternoon looks like when I need to get sewing done, but would rather be cuddling with my guy. Sometimes, you just need a second cup of coffee and six hours of Pride and Prejudice to pull you through!

For a while now I've been staring at the mending pile. Why is mending always the hardest to do? Even though it'll take all of five minutes, I have the worst time working up the motivation to finish it. There seems to be a spiritual lesson there; I'm ready and willing to take care of the "big" issues in my life, but how eager am I to take care of those "little" issues, like frustration over small things, or selfishness in my time, or thinking poorly of those I don't get a long with?


There is something truly beautiful about freshly pressed, snowy white linens. Can I just surround my life in linen?

I'm really thankful for the flexibility that owning my own business allows. Not just that I can take a day off when I want to, but that on the days when I am working, I can work around my energy levels. I always hit an afternoon slump, and I am grateful to be able to take a nice long coffee break, knowing that I'll work well into the evening when energy returns. 


Even though we all strive to be happy and smiling all the time, we'd be lying if we said we don't have days when the gray winter sky gets us down and we really just want to crawl back into bed. So, sometimes I just need to wear a shirt with colorful cartoon animals all over it, and put on lipstick even though the only place I'm going is the laundromat. Little things can really help to improve my mood. 


Sometimes, the busyness of summer is beyond overwhelming, but I always start feeling cooped-up pretty quickly in the quieter days of January. Decent weather calls for a walk on my favorite "I'm-going-stir-crazy" trail. Not much to look at in the dead of winter, but peaceful and full of fresh air. 



So, what does your January look like?

No comments: