Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Study of Proverbs 31

Tuesday mornings are a lovely time in our home. Stephen gets up early (hello, 6am) and heads off to a men's Bible study with his dad, and I sit down with a quiet breakfast and a hot cup of coffee, and do some studying on my own. When he gets home, we compare notes and discuss thoughts from our own separate studies.

I decided that the first thing I would study was the classic women's chapter of Proverbs 31. While this chapter is almost cliche and so heavily quoted, I feel like it is often glossed over or not read very intently. I decided that I wanted to deeply study and truly know what it means to be a Godly women, according to this chapter.

I felt God leading me to share my studies, so that is what I'll be doing here. I started by reading each verse carefully and listing what attributes a Godly woman has. Then, each week, I focus on one attribute, defining it and finding verses that relate to it. I hope that this is as educational, encouraging, and challenging to you as it has been for me!

Study of Proverbs 31 - Week #1 - The Attributes of a Godly Woman


v.10 - virtuous
v.11 - trustworthy, especially with resources
v.12 - committed to doing him good - not selfish
v.13 - willingly works
v.14 - traveling, seeking to fill her families needs
v.15 - is not lazy, cares for her family and servants first, prepares them for success
v.16 - makes wise decisions, understands her husbands business needs, participates in his business
v.17 - cares for herself so that she is strong
v.18 - knows the value of her work, is industrious
v.20 - is generous to and helps those in need
v.21 - is prepared for the future
v.22 - makes even the basic necessities for her house, clothes herself as would befit a nobleman's wife
v.24 - makes good product, works hard to sell it
v.25 - strong and honorable, rejoices in the future instead of worrying about it
v.26 - speaks wisdom and kindess
v.27 - is a good manager of her household, is not idle
v.28 - fears the Lord - this is most important; all else stems out of this

The result of her virtue?

v.10 - is very valuable
v.23 - her husband has a good reputation
v.28 - children call her blessed, husband praises her
v.31 - enjoys the fruit of her labor, has a good reputation

The Attributes

1. Fears the Lord - v.30
2. Virtuous - v.10
3. Trustworthy - v.11
4. Committed - v.12
5. Self-sacrificing - v.12, 15, 20
6. Willing to work - v.13
7. Economical, thrifty - v.14
8. Industrious - v.15, 16, 18, 22, 24, 27
9. Supportive - v.15, 16, 23
10. Wise - v.16, 26
11. Generous - v.20
12. Compassionate - v.20
13. Prepared - v.21
14. Humble - v.22
15. Honorable - v. 25
16. Joyful - v.25
17. Peaceful - v.25

The Results
25. Valuable - v.10
26. Praised, blessed, loved - v.28
27. Enjoys the fruit of her labor - v. 31
28. Gives husband good reputation and has good reputation of her own - v.23, 31

No comments: